Before ChatGPT, billions of dollars were flowing into AI development. However, when OpenAI’s AI chatbot crashed the internet in 2022, it prompted even greater investment in language models and chatbots.
Following the launch of ChatGPT, AI model chatbots, and assorted ChatGPT alternatives have popped up like mushrooms.
ChatGPT can be used for many purposes, including content creation, data summaries, code writing, creative writing, translations, and developing AI chatbots.
While some tech heavyweights want to serve all the same use cases as ChatGPT, smaller developers focus on niche specializations. Our guide will spotlight 16 of the best alternatives to ChatGPT – join us to explore some of the most awesome tools available online!
Check out the top contenders by their main benefits:
- Content writing: Smodin, Jasper, Chatsonic, Rytr
- Search, text, and content: Microsoft Bing Chat (Copilot)
- Google Integration and search engine: Google Bard
- Text, search, and chat: Claude 2
- Web search: Perplexity, YouChat
- Chat and companionship: Pi
- Code development: GitHub Copilot, Amazon CodeWhisperer
- Translation: DeepL
- Building AI chatbots: Zapier AI chatbot
- Reading assistant: Wiseone
- Experimentation and play: OpenAI Playground
1. Smodin – The Smart AI Writing Solution
Foremost among the best ChatGPT alternatives is Smodin. This AI writing partner is currently being used in 30,000+ universities, 100,000+ businesses, and more than 180 countries.
Smodin’s comprehensive toolkit empowers and supports all aspects of the writing process, from research to publishing, with detailed citations throughout. Its use cases range from student essays and corporate reports to impactful blogs and optimized SEO marketing content.
Let’s take a closer look at the many brilliant features offered by Smodin.
Content creators, bloggers, entrepreneurs, copywriters, and students who want quick, efficient content generation love Smodin’s AI Article Generator. With this tool, producing a fully-formed draft is a breeze. Simply select your preferred language, advise a topic overview, and review the outline suggestion Smodin gives you.
Tailor the outline to your needs and let Smodin generate the complete article. This user-friendly process effortlessly streamlines the workflow of article generation.
Smodin’s Advanced AI Essay Writer is a terrific resource for students who want to boost their grades. Expect excellent quality and deeply researched essays with the right citations all in the necessary places.
All you need to do is describe the essay you want to write. A one-line note is usually enough to get Smodin fired up and ready to go. Define the essay type – is it a descriptive story or a fact-based paper? Then, indicate the preferred length and AI will quickly craft an outline for your approval.
Feel free to revise the outline until you’re happy. Thereafter, Smodin will draft the essay for you almost instantly.
Now all you have to do is jump into editing mode with Smodin’s inspired editing and rewriting aids to add those finishing touches.
Rewriter and Paraphraser are tools that recreate, rewrite, and rephrase shorter and longer texts expertly while preserving the original meaning. These tools are much loved by students who need to rewrite an essay and bloggers who create a ton of content around a similar topic.
The Paraphrasing tool is particularly handy when you need to simplify research in your own words without being flagged for plagiarism.
You want your writing to be fresh, engaging, and human-like, right?
Smodin’s smart AI incorporates natural language processing algorithms to rephrase AI-generated work so that it sounds more “human”. This can help you produce content that pleases your readers and passes AI detection checks. It’s a win-win!
Whatever your content style, Smodin’s writing tools ensure that every piece is unique. The Plagiarism Detector tool will run a check to confirm your content is plagiarism-free. If it does pick up on similar content, it will highlight areas that need addressing (the AI Paraphrasing tool would be helpful to use here).
Other Smodin AI Tools
Here are some other helpful Smodin AI tools:
- CHATin Chatbot: This chatbot harnesses the power of Smodin, Google, and ChatGPT.
- Smodin Omni: Tutor and homework solver.
- AI Grader: This tool provides feedback on your writing to ensure improved grades and high-quality work.
Start your free Smodin trial now and be blown away by one of the very best ChatGPT alternatives.
2. Jasper AI
Jasper AI (formerly Jeeves) has been a dominant player in the content creation space for years. Millions of words of blog posts, copywriting, ads, emails, and more have been written using this excellent AI tool. Jasper Chat is built by marketers for marketers.
Let’s look at how this collaborative AI platform drives quality, optimized content that impacts target audiences across channels.
- Jasper’s generative AI sparks ideas and drafts full blog posts based on a handful of prompting keywords.
- Jasper dives deep into the brand and messaging of a company or product to produce tailored copy for websites and a variety of campaigns.
- The strong emphasis on customization extends to keyword integration to boost SEO.
- The tool is excellent at remembering previous stories and conversations for proper context.
- Jasper is a whizz at producing captions, media, posts and ads to amplify engagements across platforms.
Pricing: Creator: $49 (billed monthly) or $39 per month (billed yearly); Teams: $125 (billed monthly) or $99 per month (billed yearly); Business Plan: negotiable.
Rytr is another AI writing tool similar to Jasper. Rytr fans swear by this writing assistant’s high-quality output across all content types.
Rytr has leaned heavily into AI to allow users more space for creativity. This tool is mainly used to automate ideation, drafting, editing, and optimizing to streamline the writing process. The AI language technology generates unique and engaging texts based on input.
Choose from 40+ use cases and templates, 30+ languages, and 20+ tones of voice. You can also use Rytr’s editor to reword or shorten text, check for plagiarism, and format your content. Tone Detector and Grammar Checker ensure your message lands polished and on point.
Pricing (annual billing): From $9 to $29 per month; a free plan is available.
Writesonic raised its game rapidly following the launch of ChatGPT, and Chatsonic has emerged as one of the leading ChatGPT alternatives. Here’s what this robust app offers:
- Google integration enables great web browsing and the latest information, complete with references.
- An extensive template library with prompt templates to fire up content creation, from personal use to e-commerce, customer support, ad creation, and much more.
- Chatsonic can create digital artwork too.
- Simplified team collaborations.
Price (billed annually): $12.67 – $16; free trial available.
5. Microsoft Bing Chat (Copilot)
Copilot, formally Bing AI Chat, is the chatbot of Microsoft Bing, designed to help with a wide range of tasks and queries.
Bing’s training is based on a combination of huge data sources and ongoing feedback from users and experts to improve performance. Large Language Models are also part of the underlying technology. As a result, Bing’s answers come from its knowledge base and the search content it accesses from the web. This favors it over the free version of ChatGPT, which is limited by its 2021 knowledge cut-off.
Bing AI is powered by GPT-4 and currently operates three interaction modes:
- Precise Mode: Provides shorter and more factual answers to queries. Sources are rigorously cited. An upgrade to this mode in 2023 is believed to have improved accuracy.
- Creative Mode: You may find the chatbot keen to help you scribe poems, stories, essays, songs, and celebrity parodies.
- Balanced: Default mode strikes a balance between Precise and Creative Mode. Sources are cited when delivering results.
Pricing: Bing AI is currently free.
6. Bard from Google
Bard was Google’s response to the game-changing release of ChatGPT.
Built using Google’s large language models (LLMs) and with access to the web, Google Bard is an AI chatbot that delivers user-friendly conversations and research support, with the ability to simplify complex topics. And, of course, it has the mammoth muscle of Google behind it.
It is shaping up as a solid ChatGPT alternative in the following areas:
Bard is capable of editing text and writing letters, summaries, resumes, and more. After answering a query, it offers a check function whereby it highlights statements that Google Search can validate with a supporting statement (like a journalist confirming two sources). This is a benefit relative to ChatGPT.
However, Google continues to stress that Google Bard is still an experimental conversational AI service, so some inaccuracies should be expected.
Pricing: Google Bard is currently free.
7. Claude 2
Claude 2 is a next-generation AI assistant from Anthropic, a company founded by former members of OpenAI. This language model AI chatbot has developed an impressive ability to serve factual, creative, and safe text. It can also remember way more words in a conversation than ChatGPT.
- Answer queries: Claude answers questions in a comprehensive and informative way, even when the queries are open-ended or challenging.
- Provide summaries: Claude can generate strong summaries of texts.
- Content creation: This chat can be used to generate creative content, including emails, letters, reports, poems, scripts, musical pieces, and more.
- Language translations: While Claude can translate some languages, the range of languages is currently limited.
Claude also writes code and has shown good conversational ability. Anthropic has committed that Claude will be helpful, harmless, and honest. This is a ChatGPT alternative to watch.
Pricing: Claude uses a token system where $11 should give you over 500,000 words.
8. Perplexity AI
Powered by AI and using Natural Language Processing (NLP) to understand the context of searcher inquiries, Perplexity performs the same search engine function as ChatGPT.
- Conversational AI chatbot that possibly exceeds ChatGPT in knowledge.
- A Copilot feature that asks questions, listens, and processes to improve search quality. Copilot is powered by GBT-4 and Claude-2.
- Perplexity helpfully cites its sources when providing information.
- A user-friendly interface that makes it easy to find information and access features.
Unlike ChatGPT, you don’t need an account to use the Perplexity AI chatbot.
Perplexity AI is a promising chatbot-style search engine that is advancing how we interact with information and search engines.
YouChat is an AI chat search engine developed by You.com. It provides a conversational experience, web links, citations, and assistance with deep-dive search queries. Media often accompanies your search results thanks to integrations with YouTube, X, Reddit, Wikipedia, TikTok, and YouWrite.
YouChat leverages AI technology to offer personalized recommendations and search results. YouChat is part of YouPro, through which users can access unlimited GPT-4 capabilities to generate AI art, write essays, draft business proposals, create apps, and plenty more.
You.com provides one of the best ChatGPT alternatives on the market, but like all the tools in this arena, you can still expect a fair amount of inaccuracies in the outputs.
Pricing: YouChat has a free demo version; YouPro from $9.99 per month.
10. Pi from Inflection
Pi is a new AI chatbot launched by Inflection AI. The company was founded by Google DeepMind co-founder Mustafa Suleyman and LinkedIn co-founder Reid Hoffman.
Pi stands for Personal Intelligence and provides a different user experience to most other ChatGPT alternatives. This chatbot emphasizes a softer and more emotional connection. Pi is a supportive assistant that can help you with queries and tasks while also acting as a companion.
Almost like a therapist, Pi is curious and tries to comfort you. In this sense, it beats ChatGPT in chat quality. You can also alter its tone of voice to find one that suits you.
While Pi has been trained extensively and can answer many queries, it falls short in this regard when compared to many other ChatGPT alternatives in 2023. It also doesn’t rank with the top AI chatbots for generating creative and innovative content.
Pi is available as a web app and works on most browsers and devices.
11. GitHub Copilot and Copilot X
When it comes to ChatGPT alternatives for coding, GitHub Copilot is a standout performer. This is hardly surprising, since this AI developer tool is a collab between GitHub and OpenAI. Copilot turns natural language prompts into coding suggestions across dozens of languages.
Organizations all over the globe are using the product to code faster and build out great software. The applications perform a range of coding tasks, such as:
- Writing new code from scratch or completing existing code
- Generating tests, documentation, or comments for the code
- Finding and fixing bugs, errors, or typos in the code
- Troubleshooting collaborations
- Exploring new frameworks, libraries, or APIs with code examples
Copilot promises 55% faster coding; however, inaccuracies and insecure code sometimes result.
Pricing: Copilot Individual: $10 per month; Copilot Business: $19 per month; Copilot Enterprise: $39 per month
12. Amazon CodeWhisperer
Amazon’s ChatGPT alternative CodeWhisperer aims to supercharge web development. This AI coding companion helps to build applications faster and more securely with code suggestions (from snippets to full functions), reference tracking, and security scans.
CodeWhisperer is designed for developers of all skill levels and supports 15 programming languages. Its user-friendly interface is intuitive and easy to navigate. There are also plenty of customization options available, so it can be tailored to multiple specific needs.
CodeWhisperer integrates with popular development tools and platforms like GitHub and scales decently to handle large code bases.
An Amazon measurement recorded 57% faster coding using the product. However, CodeWhisperer is not yet a top performer, and some people consider only 15 programming languages a limitation.
Pricing: Individuals: free; Businesses: $19 per month per user
If you’re using ChatGPT for translation and it’s not quite nailing it, DeepL is an excellent ChatGPT alternative.
Developed by a Germany-based company that specializes in natural language processing and AI, DeepL Translator is an online machine translation service that uses deep learning techniques to provide accurate and fluent translations.
DeepL provides high-quality translation in 30 languages and counting. Its premium subscription service, DeepL Pro, offers offline use, even faster translations, plus integration with Computer-Assisted Translation tools. Other attributes include:
- A user-friendly interface
- An API that can be integrated with clients’ apps, websites, and services
- Ongoing training on sizeable amounts of multilingual data to improve language understanding capabilities
Pricing (billed annually): $8.74 – $57.49 per user per month; Free trial
14. Zapier AI Chatbot
Zapier AI Chatbot is a tool that lets you build your own AI chatbots that can be customized to your needs. This nifty app uses OpenAI GPT-3.5 and has a bunch of relevant features, including:
- Brand customization that enables you to match your AI chatbot to your brand
- Data control that combines your data with OpenAI models to help your bot stay on brand
- Connectivity to apps and services like Slack, Gmail, and Google Docs
- Built-in automation
- Chatbots that can be easily shared or embedded on your site
Zapier AI offers an easy way to create chatbot AI models that can deliver ChatGPT-like performance by answering questions, extracting insights, and reviewing data. And no coding is required!
Pricing: You can build custom AI chatbots powered by GPT-3.5 for free; Zapier Paid Plans: from $19.99 per month
In today’s information overload of news articles, blogs, research papers, reviews, and social media posts, it’s hard to consume online content efficiently and productively. Enter Wiseone – the AI-powered reading tool that helps you stay ahead and enables understanding and mastery of any subject.
This reading assistant is still in the beta testing phase but has huge potential. Consider its performance features:
- Focus: Helps you understand complex concepts on any webpage.
- Cross-check: Accesses factual and reliable sources on the same subject.
- Ask Anything: Simplifies complex information into understandable answers.
- Summarize: Provides a reader-friendly summary of the key takeaways of content on any website.
- Explore: Provides articles and videos from diverse sources to deepen your understanding.
Unlike ChatGPT, which is only available through the OpenAI webpage, Wiseone is a Chrome extension that currently works on over 100,000 websites and supports multiple languages.
Pricing: Wiseone is currently free
16. OpenAI Playground
OpenAI created Playground, a web-based tool, to encourage tinkering and experimenting in the predictive language model space. The writing tool uses predictive language technology to give human-like responses to user prompts.
It’s a great tool to test the capabilities of GPT. You can use it to sharpen your prompts and understand how AI language models work. Here are some fun ideas for the Playground:
- Ask wide-ranging and wacky questions
- Start conversations
- Write short stories
- Generate images
- Convert text to speech
- Test the viability of an AI app business idea
This ChatGPT alternative has less of a chatbot feel than the flagship product, but Playground provides an interesting look under the hood of the OpenAI and language model environment.
Pricing: Various prices depending on the AI models and tools used
Next Steps – Try Smodin for Free
You will see from these 16 alternatives to ChatGPT that there are numerous exciting offerings out there. However, if you are looking for the best in the business when it comes to AI writing and editing, then Smodin should be your go-to.
Start using Smodin for free and test drive our next-level tools like AI Article Generator, AI Essay Writer, and the AI Homework Solver.